Sunday, January 31, 2016

Pyramid of Power

In order to set attainable goals that will serve as stepping stones to 5.13a, I decided to make a pyramid (maybe I've got some Egyptian ancestry?) to determine the amount of volume I'll need at each climbing grade difficulty in order to develop the skill set and confidence necessary to dispatch a 5.13 when I get to that level. I think it's a pretty good idea.

It was funny while I was making it, I realized 5.13a is so far from my current level that it's no big deal to say, "Yeah! I'll totally make it there." But when I put in the goal to do four 5.12c's? Hm... I know how hard 12c is, and it's pretty hard. This isn't going to be an easy pyramid to fill.

Just as a note, I topped the pyramid at 13b because the Paper Crane is 3-4 hours away from where I live, and I realized that it will not be feasible to go down there three or four times to give it a try. My solution is to raise my level of experience and fitness to the point that 13a's shouldn't necessarily be my limit (still difficult though), in order to lessen the amount of time it takes to project and do the climb. In an ideal world, I would finish it over the course of one long or two short trips.

The good news is that I have parts of it already done! I think most of the 11a's are done and... well, I'll put it on the list below the pyramid. I'll be updating the pyramid and climbs as I go along.

Climbs Completed
11a- Knightmare, Tales from the Gripped, Deep End, Gravitational Attraction

11b- Doom (onsight!), The Bulge, Squawstruck, Redneck Genocide, Suicide Blonde, Necrobeastiality, Simple Simon

11c- Captain Tight Pants

11d- Blood Ruby

12a- Liquid Oxygen, Minnow Maker

Yeah. I've got some work to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment