Sunday, March 23, 2014

What is our purpose anyway?

I'm back! After that Timpanogos trip I didn't sleep for another number of hours totaling almost 40 HOURS OF NO SLEEP. Some of you folks out there may scoff t that whole idea. "40 hours? This kid's a wimp..." But let me remind you that it was 40 hours of being straight up active on a mountain and I'm like a little princess that needs her 8 hours of sleep every night or else I turn into a little grumpy princess. No one likes grumpy princesses.

Anyway, I didn't sleep and got incredibly sick. This was the most sick I've been in a long time, it literally laid me out for a whole week. Boy I'll tell you. Being sick is the worst! You sleep all the time, have no willpower, and have nothing to do because you can't go be active and people don't want you around! Miserable!
But after a close shave with death in the doctor's office (our conversation, "You need to drink 20% more water." "My pee is clear EVERY time..." "You need to lay off the junk food for a few days." "I never eat junk food!" "And you need to sleep 20% more." "Dang." "Gotcha.") I managed to get away and now I'm feeling so good that I climbed a three pitch route on friday and climbed all day saturday. So good to get out!

Two or so weeks ago I watched a movie titled "Hugo". I thought it was going to be pretty bad honestly. However, I became pretty interested in the very first few moments of the movie with the vintage color scheme and the scenes of clock pieces revolving around in the picture. I also have a soft spot for movies that feel a little off the beaten path and also want to convey a message, it seems like I hit a jackpot.


While I wasn't thrilled with the ending to the movie, there was one moment during the movie where the boy Hugo said a couple things that really made me think.

"I'd imagine the whole world was one big machine. Machines never come with any extra parts, you know. They always come with the exact amount they need. So I figured, if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn't be an extra part. I had to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too."

"Maybe that's why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn't able to do what it was meant to do... Maybe it's the same with people. If you lose your purpose... it's like you're broken."

The purpose of a person has always drawn me to thought. Do we have a purpose? If so, what is that purpose?
Like Hugo, I've been led more to be inclined to think that every person does have a purpose. Honestly, at a point in my life I struggled with severe depression and I think that the only thing that kept me from giving up to hopelessness was that I was and am sure that everything has a purpose. A greater purpose than the simple biological term for success (survival and reproduction). A purpose that transcends our ability to reason and falls more into the category of what we would call our heart or soul.

Also, I think that filling your purpose, the intended reason for you and I being here and now, is a major key to happiness in our life. I think that each of us must find our own purpose according to our talents and passions but that we'll all find that while every purpose may be different, they will all be good (no one has a purpose to propagate world hunger I believe...). I also reason that we don't need to go on some epic quest to find our purpose in life, but that we can't idly sit by expecting a 3x5 notecard to be given to us with our purpose on it.
We have to actively live our lives and understand, eventually, what abilities and gifts we have and how we can use those to better the people around us, our societies, and, ultimately, the world.

If the whole world is a machine, maybe you are a gear, a cog, a humble screw, or even the master switch. Just make sure that you're able to complete you purpose when the time comes.



1 comment: